Friday, April 23, 2010

2010 Marathon Champs

After not riding for two weeks following my chaffing issue I was very tempted just to give this race miss - but that would be soft! Instead I thought it best to rock up ride the first 10kms feeling good and struggle my way through the last 80 odd kms. And that’s pretty much how it went except that I think everyone struggled to varying degrees in the final 40kms of the race. I have never ridden a marathon race with that much walking/running involved! A good solid 50kms of firetrials and single track was followed by 40kms of fresh cut single tracks that were in sections unrideable. I rode with Johnny Hendo from near the start and we picked up Benny Henderson at maybe halfway when his cranks came loose. It was only that I was riding with someone that I enjoyed being on the bike that day. JD