Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dirtworks 100

More fantastic weather for the Dirtworks 100 this year! As per usual the start was a bit chilli on the arms and legs but by the top of the first climb it was a perfect temperature. The track used this year was the same as last year and was just as rough as I remember! Before the 50km feed station I had pulled 6 sticks (small sapling trees!) out of my rear derailleur and roughly realigned my hanger a similar number of times! I also managed to snap a DT Aerolite spoke which I have found on many previous occasions to be indestructible!
The canoe bridge proved once again to be a challenge to some riders who apparently ended up in the drink! Unfortunately, in the last 3 years of riding this race I have never seen someone fall in so I still don’t know how deep the water actually is!!!
The last kilometres of this race dragged on for me and I was happy to see the final descent down to the last river crossing and road. An awesome race, yet again, that you can feel in your lower back for the next week J JD